What causes poverty?
Rarely just birth; sometimes bad choices; usually just bad luck.
What's it like?
- Having to choose between the need for bread and the need for toothpaste
- Knowing how to be humble in getting help just to survive (You just don't think of the word "begging" and it's a little less intimidating)
- Watching TV to see all the material things that are out of reach
- Developing a true appreciation for Fast Food (a luxury)
- Getting a lesser quality of health care
- Having to justify (without self-incrimination) even the most simple forms of survival to get government assistance
- Knowing your kids can't enjoy things like movies or sports like other kids can, because the expense is too great
- Knowing your kids probably won't be able to go to Higher Education, even if they wanted to
- Enduring the Christmas holidays knowing your kids probably will never get exactly what they want, and neither will you
- Regreting your pitiful whine in the Land of Plenty, when over 45% of the world's population live below the "$2-a-day" poverty line